Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Embossing Experience

I enjoy stamps. No, not the kind that you put on envelopes to mail letters, but those little pieces of art carved in rubber. Over the last little while, I have been experimenting with embossing stamp images. For those who aren't familiar with this process: I use a rubber stamp (usually hand-carved) and ink pad to stamp an image on a piece of paper. Then I sprinkle special embossing powder over the image (which will adhere to the wet ink on the image), and then heat the powder, causing it to melt. After it cools, the image is embossed --raised and usually in bright, glossy colours. It can create a beautiful effect.


There is a special heat tool (that looks a little like a hair dryer) that can be used to heat the image to the required "melting" temperature. However, I don't have one. So instead, I use an old frying pan set over a burner on the stove on low heat. This method seems to work well for me.


Well.......the other night, Bethany (age 9) wanted to make some cards, using a rubber stamp. We were talking about ideas, and I asked her what colour of paper she'd like to use and what ink colour. After making those choices, she excitedly asked, "Can we fry them, Mom?"

So, after we stopped laughing, I told her that, yes, we could "fry" her cards too! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment